Alzheimer Disease and Brain Awareness Month: Spreading Awareness and Understanding
Did you know that June is Alzheimer’s Disease and Brain Awareness Month? It’s a fantastic opportunity for us to unite as a community and raise awareness about this challenging condition affecting so many people.
At Bonita Springs Healthcare Services, we’re here to help you gain a deeper understanding of Alzheimer’s disease.
What Is Alzheimer’s Disease?
Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive brain disorder that impacts memory, thinking processes, and behavior. It’s the most common form of dementia, affecting millions of individuals and their loved ones. Right now, there is no cure for Alzheimer’s, so we want to spread awareness to help families catch early signs and be better prepared to manage the disease.
Early Signs of Alzheimer’s Disease
During this special month, our goal is to learn more about the signs, symptoms, and available resources for those living with Alzheimer’s and their caregivers. Increasing our knowledge can create a more compassionate and supportive community for everyone affected by this condition.
Here are some early signs to consider that are beyond age-appropriate forgetfulness:
- Memory loss that hinders your daily routine
- Difficulty concentrating or problem-solving
- Getting lost in a familiar place
- Challenges with vision or spatial recognition
- Trouble engaging in conversation, stopping mid-thought with no idea where you left off
- Losing common items around the house
- Withdrawal from people or social situations
- Extreme fluctuations in moods
Remember, spreading awareness and understanding about Alzheimer’s disease is not limited to this month alone. It’s an ongoing effort that can significantly impact the lives of those who have loved ones with the disease. By learning more about the disease, supporting individuals and families, and advocating for research and advancements, we can work together to improve the lives of those living with Alzheimer’s disease.
Appreciate Your Brain
We invite you to join us in commemorating Alzheimer’s Disease and Brain Awareness Month. Let’s make this a time of learning, compassion, and appreciation. What can you do to exercise your brain today?
- Move your body.
- Learn something new whether it be a foreign language or cooking.
- Refrain from smoking.
- Fuel your body with healthy foods.
- Protect your brain from physical injury by wearing a helmet and buckling up.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Acknowledge issues and get help regarding your mental health.
- Spend time with grandkids or sponsor a local little league team.
Appreciate what your brain is capable of by maximizing its abilities. You will never regret living life to the fullest during Brain Awareness Month and beyond.
Bonita Springs Healthcare Services Can Help
Stay informed, stay compassionate, and let’s spread awareness during Alzheimer’s Disease and Brain Awareness Month. Together, we can make a difference in the lives of those affected by Alzheimer’s disease. Please reach out to our team at Bonita Springs Healthcare Services for questions about your healthcare needs.
Download Our Guide:
Caregiver Burnout and How to Avoid It
How do you know if you are experiencing caregiver burnout? Download our free guide and learn the warning signs, how to avoid them, and when to seek assistance.